Our New Life

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Mississippi~ A Short History Lesson

So this might be a little odd but I decided today that I would find out a little about Mississippi.  Just moving here and still don't know anything about it. So I did a little research and found out some intresting things (at least to me). 

People who live in Mississippi or who come from Mississippi are called Mississippians.


The state of Mississippi is named after the Mississippi River. Though the river was called by many different names, the name Mississippi given to it by the Indians was the name that was used on Robert Cavelier Sieur de La Salle's map of the area in 1695.

The State Seal:




The State Song: 

Go, Mississippi
Words and Music by Houston Davis
Verse:
States may sing their songs of praise
With waving flags and hip-hoo-rays,
Let cymbals crash and let bells ring
Cause here's one song I'm proud to sing.
Choruses:
Go, Mississippi, keep rolling along,
Go, Mississippi, you cannot go wrong,
Go, Mississippi, we're singing your song,
M-I-S-S-I-S-S-I-P-P-I
Go, Mississippi, you're on the right track,
Go, Mississippi, and this is a fact,
Go, Mississippi, you'll never look back,
M-I-S-S-I-S-S-I-P-P-I
Go, Mississippi, straight down the line,
Go, Mississippi, ev'rything's fine,
Go, MIssissippi, it's your state and mine,
M-I-S-S-I-S-S-I-P-P-I
Go, Mississippi, continue to roll,
Go, Mississippi, the top is the goal,
Go, Mississippi, you'll have and you'll hold,
M-I-S-S-I-S-S-I-P-P-I
Go, Mississippi, get up and go,
Go, Mississippi, let the world know,
That our Mississippi is leading the show,
M-I-S-S-I-S-S-I-P-P-I

The State Motto: 
-VIRTUTE et ARMIS" which means by valor and arms.


The State Bird:
Mocking Bird



The State Tree:
The Magnolia



The State Flag:



The State Quarter:





Hope you enjoyed the history lesson! 










Source: http://www.mississippi.gov/symbols.jsp
http://www.itsnature.org/plant_life/trees-plants/magnolia-tree/
http://www.netstate.com/states/intro/ms_intro.htm

0 Acts of Love..:

Post a Comment